Police authorities in the United States are continuing investigations into the killing of Nigerian middle-distance athlete and graduate student Oluwabukola Pereira, who was shot dead during an alleged robbery in Lockland, Ohio, days before she was due to complete her MBA studies, The PUNCH reports.
The 30-year-old, who specialised in the 800 metres and 1500 metres events, was killed on May 8 at the Arise Auto Center in the 500 block of North Wayne Avenue, where she worked.
The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office said on X that the shooting triggered a temporary shelter-in-place order as officers secured the area and warned residents to avoid nearby streets during the initial phase of the investigation.
The coroner confirmed she died at the scene from gunshot injuries.
According to local media, detectives have since appealed for surveillance footage from residents and businesses in Lockland and neighbouring Lincoln Heights.
“Detectives are asking residents and business owners in both Lockland and nearby Lincoln Heights to review any available surveillance footage, including Ring camera video, for possible evidence captured between the hours of 12:30 and 3 p.m.,” WCPO Cincinnati reported.
Investigators also described the suspect as a Black man of heavy build, reportedly wearing grey sweatpants and a black top or sweatshirt, and possibly a long black wig, who fled towards a creek behind the business.
Pereira represented Nigeria in middle-distance athletics and built her career across both domestic and international competitions.
She held a personal best of 2:12.68 in the 800 metres, achieved in Warrensburg, Missouri in May 2019, and 4:39.57 in the 1500 metres, recorded on the same day and venue.
Her competitive history also included performances spanning more than a decade, from the 2012 AFN Golden League in Port Harcourt through collegiate meets in the United States, including Joplin, Springfield and Kearney, as well as later appearances such as the 2024 Portland Track Festival.
In an interview with The PUNCH on Tuesday, her grassroots coach, Rauf Abass, said Pereira had been due to graduate with an MBA on May 16, only a week after her death on May 8, and described the news as deeply distressing.
“It was very painful news for all of us when we heard what happened,” Abass said.
“Myself alongside her long-time benefactor Mrs Esther, were the ones who went to break the news to the family in Nigeria.”
“We went to the family residence on Saturday evening to inform them. The family is aware now. Both the father and mother have been informed.”
Abass added that they later visited them again with the sporting community and her teammates to offer condolences, noting that she had also been a key financial support for her family.
“I tried as much as possible to coordinate her running mates. Some are no longer active in competition, but I brought them together to ensure everyone was informed and visited to offer condolences,” he said.
“It is a very sad situation. I pray I never have to be the one to break such news again.”
“She was also a breadwinner for the family, so it is extremely painful for them. I had even spoken with her the night before the incident occurred.
A co-worker, Don Simpson, also told WCPO Cincinnati that Pereira worked as a cashier at the auto centre and was widely respected by colleagues.
He said she attempted to confront the suspect during the robbery attempt before she was shot.
“They called me and told me she didn’t make it,” Simpson said.
“I see her every day. Like I said, she does the cash. When people come in with cash, she pays for the cars. I was delivering a load, and at first I thought it wasn’t true cause it’s broad daylight.”
Her fiance, Gbenga Showole, said she was deeply committed to her faith and personal values, adding that plans were now underway to establish a foundation in her memory.
“Anybody you talk to who’s met her will tell you how much her faith was important to her and how much caring for other people was really important to her,” Showole told Fox19 Now Cincinnati.
Read the full article here













![World Cup 2026: Portugal coach, Martinez announces squad for tournament, Nigeria clash[Full list] World Cup 2026: Portugal coach, Martinez announces squad for tournament, Nigeria clash[Full list]](https://i0.wp.com/dailypost.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/Roberto-Martinez.jpg?w=1024&resize=1024,1024&ssl=1)
