Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, on Tuesday downplayed speculations that former President Goodluck Jonathan could threaten his 2027 presidential ambition.
Obi spoke after undergoing the party’s presidential screening exercise at the national secretariat of the Nigeria Democratic Congress in Abuja, which lasted over two hours.
Reacting to reports that Jonathan may join the 2027 presidential race on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, Obi said he was unconcerned about who might contest against him.
He said: “Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for.
“I’m not in any way going around looking for who and who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria,” he stated.
Obi said his focus remained on national unity, security, economic revival and the fight against corruption.
“This I will do by first uniting the country because it’s not a united country. We have to govern the country by the Constitution of Nigeria, which stipulates federal character and inclusivity. The country must be united. The country must be secure.
“We want to see mothers no longer fear when their children go to school or work. We also want a country where we can travel all over Nigeria without fear,” he said.
Speaking on the lengthy screening process, the former Labour Party presidential candidate described it as “democracy in action,” insisting that the exercise reflected the party’s commitment to due process and accountability.
“This is democracy in action because NDC chooses to do things properly. So when we say this is going to be screening, it has to be done right.
“Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualification and provide relevant documents to back them.
“This is the way to know whether everything you have said or declared is the truth and if you can answer questions posed about your commitment to building a united, secure and prosperous Nigeria. That’s why the screening took over two hours,” he said.
Obi also dismissed reports suggesting he had emerged as the party’s consensus presidential candidate following alleged consultations with party leaders.
“The party just opened up their expression of interest and nomination forms for people to buy. So there is no consensus yet.
“Although I bought the forms, I don’t know who else has bought. So until the party says I’m the only one who expressed interest, that’s it,” he said.
The former governor lamented worsening poverty and insecurity across the country, saying many Nigerians now struggle daily to survive.
“So many Nigerians today go to bed not knowing where the next meal will come from tomorrow. That must change.
“We must live in a country where people do not turn public assets and public wealth into private assets. So we must fight corruption to a standstill and make it work for everybody,” he said.
He also criticised politicians for focusing more on elections than governance.
“Politicians are preoccupied with the next election when Nigerians are dying. That must stop,” Obi added.
Earlier, Obi arrived at the NDC national secretariat in Abuja at about 6:45 pm for the screening exercise amid growing speculation that he is the frontrunner for the party’s presidential ticket ahead of the 2027 general election.
Dressed in his trademark black kaftan and cap, Obi arrived shortly after the chairman of the screening committee, Sam Egwu, entered the venue. He was accompanied by the senator representing Anambra Central, Victor Umeh.
The NDC had earlier announced the appointment of Egwu as chairman of its 17-member screening committee for presidential, governorship, senatorial and House of Representatives aspirants.
In a statement issued by the party’s National Secretary, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, the committee was scheduled for inauguration on Tuesday evening.
Other members of the panel include Buba Galadima, Ikeddy Isiguzo, Wole Adedayo, Udenta Udenta and Henry Obaze.
Read the full article here













