Cmmuters travelling along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State were stranded on Monday after the collapse of Moro Bridge, which submerged vehicles and disrupted movement along the busy interstate corridor.
PUNCH Metro gathered on Monday that the incident followed an overnight downpour, which caused the Moro River to overflow its banks, trapping several vehicles in floodwaters while some passengers reportedly climbed onto car roofs, awaiting rescue.
The affected bridge, located between the Oko-Olowo/Mandala axis in Ilorin West and the Asa Local Government Area, had earlier collapsed on April 30 after a heavy-duty articulated truck reportedly passed over the ageing structure.
Its collapse had already severed a major transport link connecting parts of Kwara State to neighbouring Oyo State and onward routes leading to the Benin Republic border.
Monday’s flooding further compounded the situation, as the temporary diversion earlier promised by the state government had yet to be completed.
Video footage obtained by PUNCH Metro from the scene showed vehicles partially submerged in the overflowing river, while stranded commuters struggled to navigate the flooded section.
Residents and motorists expressed frustration over the delay in completing emergency intervention works at the site, warning that the situation could worsen as the rainy season intensifies.
A trader identified simply as Kafayat lamented the impact of the development on economic activities in the area.
“This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing transportation costs for commuters and businesses,” she said.
Some residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project located beside the collapsed structure had remained abandoned for years.
The worsening condition has heightened fears among communities around the Moro River axis, especially with peak rainfall months still ahead.
Residents warned that more severe flooding could occur in July and August if urgent measures are not taken to restore safe passage across the river.
Following the collapse of the bridge in April, the Kwara State Government announced traffic diversion measures and promised immediate intervention to ease hardship for commuters.
The Commissioner for Works, Abdulquawiy Olododo, said the government was collaborating with federal authorities to address the situation.
“The Kwara State Government is working with federal authorities to immediately divert traffic following the collapse of the Moro Bridge overnight,” the commissioner had stated.
“The collapse occurred in the early hours after a heavy-duty truck passed over the bridge, resulting in major disruption along the route,” he added.
Olododo also disclosed that engineers had been mobilised to commence palliative works on alternative routes to reduce traffic congestion and hardship for motorists.
He further assured residents that construction work was ongoing on a new Moro Bridge located a few metres from the collapsed structure.
Despite the assurances, Monday’s flooding has heightened public concern over the safety of commuters and the pace of government response at the site.
The Moro Bridge, a colonial-era Bailey bridge, has for decades served as a critical crossing point linking parts of Kwara and Oyo states, although it has repeatedly undergone rehabilitation due to persistent structural defects.
Read the full article here














