Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East) Operation HADIN KAI have rescued 92 civilians abducted by Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province terrorists along the Buratai–Kamuya road in Biu Local Government Area of Borno State.
The rescue operation, carried out on Saturday, also led to the recovery of eight vehicles and the detonation of three improvised explosive devices planted by the fleeing insurgents, according to a statement shared on Sunday by the Media Information Officer, Headquarters Joint Task Force (North East) Operation HADIN KAI, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba.
The military said troops of the 135 Special Forces Battalion deployed at Dutse Kura detected the insurgents at about 11:22 am while they were forcing civilians and vehicles off the road into nearby bush paths.
Following the discovery, the battalion deployed its Quick Reaction Force, while reinforcement troops from the 27 Task Force Brigade Garrison were mobilised to support the operation.
Troops subsequently pursued the insurgents towards the Mangari-Dora area, engaged them and forced them to abandon the captives and flee, the statement said.
“All 92 kidnapped victims, comprising 52 males, 33 females and 7 children, along with 8 vehicles, were successfully recovered,” the military stated.
The statement added that the insurgents attempted to slow the advancing troops by planting three IEDs along the Bula Zarma-Mangari axis in what it described as an ambush attempt.
However, the military said the explosives were detected and detonated by the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team, allowing troops to continue the pursuit for about five kilometres beyond the Mangari area.
“The unit’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team responded with precision and successfully detonated all three devices, clearing the route and enabling troops to press the pursuit approximately five kilometres beyond the Mangari general area,” the statement said.
It added that follow-up search operations were conducted across the area, but the insurgents had already dispersed after abandoning the victims, vehicles and their mission.
The military said no personnel or equipment casualties were recorded during the operation.
“OPHK troops sustained zero personnel or equipment casualties throughout the operation,” it stated.
The rescued civilians were later provided immediate welfare support and escorted to Damaturu, where they were allowed to continue their journey.
The military said the operation demonstrated the “operational reach, surveillance capability and combat readiness” of Operation HADIN KAI, warning that attempts by insurgents to kidnap or attack civilians in the North-East would be met with “swift and overwhelming force.”
Read the full article here














