The Federal Government has begun the disbursement of outstanding 2025 allowances to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement Scholarship Programme studying in partner countries abroad.
This was announced in a statement by the Federal Ministry of Education on Wednesday and signed by the ministry’s Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade.
According to the statement, “the Central Bank of Nigeria has successfully remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars.”
In the statement, the Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, said the released funds represent 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025, noting that efforts were ongoing to ensure payment of the remaining balance.
Alausa explained that the funds had already been received in embassy accounts, adding that the affected missions were expected to commence payment to beneficiaries immediately.
He also urged scholars to monitor their accounts as the payments begin to reflect.
The BEA scholarship programme supports Nigerian students studying in partner countries with financial assistance from the Federal Government.
Although the programme has been discontinued, several beneficiaries have complained about delays in the payment of allowances, citing the financial difficulties caused by the situation.
The latest disbursement is expected to provide relief for the affected scholars.
Alausa said the move reflects President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students abroad under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
FG also reaffirmed its commitment to meeting its obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies that promote quality education, student welfare and national human capital development.
Gift Habib is a journalist at Punch Newspapers with over five years of experience reporting on foreign affairs, elections, security, and related issues. She specializes in covering complex political and security developments, providing context and clarity for readers. Her work reflects extensive newsroom experience and a strong commitment to accurate, insightful, and trustworthy journalism.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Read the full article here












