Southampton’s appeal against their expulsion from the Championship play-offs has been rejected, confirming that the final will go ahead between Hull City and Middlesbrough F.C. on Saturday at 15:30 BST, with promotion to the Premier League at stake.
A league arbitration panel upheld the decision of an EFL independent disciplinary commission, which had earlier expelled Southampton from the play-offs following what it described as multiple breaches of EFL regulations. Middlesbrough were reinstated despite losing 2–1 on aggregate to Southampton in the semi-finals.
Confirming the ruling on Wednesday, the EFL said: “A league arbitration panel has tonight dismissed Southampton Football Club’s appeal against the independent disciplinary commission’s sanction following the admittance of multiple breaches of EFL regulations.”
The governing body added that the original punishment would remain in place in full: “The determination means that the original sanction of expulsion from the Championship play-offs remains in place, as does the four-point deduction to be applied to the 2026-27 Championship table and the reprimand in respect of all charges.”
The decision is final, with no further right of appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Southampton expressed strong disappointment at the outcome, issuing a statement describing it as “an extremely disappointing outcome”.
The club added: “While we fully acknowledge the seriousness of this matter and the scrutiny that has followed, the club has consistently believed the original sporting sanction was disproportionate, a view that has been widely shared by many in the football community over the last 24 hours.”
Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons also argued that the punishment was excessive, pointing to previous disciplinary cases as context.
He said the club could not: “accept a sanction which bears no proportion to the offence.”
He referenced a 2019 case involving Leeds United, who received a fine for similar misconduct, although regulations have since been strengthened.
Hull City have also expressed frustration at the disruption caused by the ruling. Owner Acun Ilicali suggested the situation has had a significant impact on preparation and did not rule out legal action if his side misses out on promotion.
He said, “I don’t want to accuse anybody until we see the full picture, but it has had too much of an effect on us.”
He added, “I am representing a big club and a big family, and I will not let our family get harmed with injustice.”
With the EFL process now concluded, attention may now turn to the Football Association, which could consider further disciplinary action against individuals involved.
PUNCH Online had reported that Southampton had appealed against their expulsion from the Championship play-off final as the punishment was “manifestly disproportionate to every previous sanction in the history of the English game”.
https://punchng.com/southampton-appeal-against-championship-play-off-removal-for-spying/
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
Read the full article here














