The management of the Federal University of Health Sciences, Otukpo (FUHSO), has defended its handling of the accreditation process for the university’s Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) programme following recent student protests and public concerns.
According to a press statement issued on Tuesday by the Head of Information, Public Relations and Protocol Unit, Mr. Sunday A. Igah, the university said it considered it necessary to clarify what it described as misconceptions surrounding the accreditation issue.
He said the current administration, led by Prof. Francis Uba, inherited major deficiencies upon assuming office on May 13, 2025.
The management stated that prior to the current administration, the MBBS programme had reportedly not received any Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) Resource Verification or Advisory Visit for four years.
It further alleged that statutory accreditation fees had not been paid and that engagement with the regulatory body had not progressed.
The university also cited infrastructure gaps allegedly affecting accreditation readiness, including an abandoned Multi-User Laboratory project, absence of an Autopsy Centre, a deteriorated morgue facility, and laboratories said to be below required MDCN standards.
FUHSO said the current administration subsequently prioritised the MBBS accreditation process by paying statutory fees, commencing formal engagement with the MDCN, and carrying out infrastructure upgrades.
According to management, ongoing interventions include expansion of the Anatomy Laboratory, upgrade of the Human Physiology Laboratory, reconstruction and modernisation of the morgue, construction of an Autopsy Centre, and completion efforts on the Multi-User Laboratory project.
The university further disclosed that a departmental bus for Community Medicine had been procured, accommodation secured for pioneer medical students, and staffing gaps addressed through targeted recruitment.
Management also stated that students previously sent home had been recalled, while lectures and practical sessions were ongoing.
A key highlight of the statement was confirmation that the MDCN accreditation visit to FUHSO is officially scheduled for May 21, 2026.
The institution described the visit as the outcome of sustained efforts undertaken over the past 12 months and reiterated its commitment to securing accreditation and protecting the academic future of medical students.
The statement follows recent demonstrations by students reportedly expressing concerns over accreditation delays and academic progression within the MBBS programme.













