The Borno State Government says it is working closely with security agencies to secure the release of 42 students and children abducted from a school in Mussa, Askira-Uba Local Government Area of the state.
The victims were taken last Friday from the Primary and Junior Government Day Secondary School during an early morning attack that also extended to nearby homes.
The Special Adviser and spokesman to the Borno State Governor, Mallam Dauda Iliya, confirmed ongoing rescue efforts in a statement issued in Maiduguri.
According to him, Governor Babagana Umara Zulum has been holding a series of meetings with heads of security agencies, including the military and police, to coordinate rescue operations.
He said the priority of the state government is to ensure the safe return of the abducted students, pupils, and other victims to their families.
“It could be recalled that Governor Zulum has been engaging security agencies since the incident occurred to ensure the abductees are rescued and reunited with their families,” he said.
Security sources had earlier disclosed that the abducted victims include four secondary school students, 28 primary school pupils, and 10 children taken from nearby residences.
Senator Ali Ndume, also confirmed the attack, describing it as “barbaric and heartbreaking,” while urging troops of Operation Hadin Kai to intensify rescue operations.
Ndume noted that the attack reflects a resurgence of insecurity in parts of Chibok and Askira-Uba and called for swift military response to secure the captives.














